Government Relations Manager
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2024
Vannevar Labs builds next generation defense software for the public servants keeping our country safe. As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
This mission has become urgent. Ukraine is engaged in a war for survival with Russia. China regularly flies nuclear-capable bombers into Taiwan and Japan’s airspace. The US and our allies are fighting a war of deterrence with woefully outdated technology. We build software to support these missions, including providing battlefield information to allies, identifying malign activity, and helping the US deter and deescalate conflict.
We are a profitable growth startup with some of the best defense investors in the world, including General Catalyst, DFJ Growth, Point72, and enterprise tech investors Costanoa and Felicis.
About the role
- We are looking for a Government Relations Manager to work directly with our head of public policy and strategy to expand Vannevar’s government relations effort.
- As a Government Relations Manager, you will work with our head of public policy to develop legislative strategies that result in policies, authorities and long-term program funding that support the company’s strategic objectives.
- You will lead engagements with key legislative stakeholders on Capitol Hill, highlighting areas where Vannevar is leading in adoption of emerging national security technology for strategic competition.
- You’ll support our existing Department of Defense deployments and help us expand into new national security missions.
- You will work closely with the mission team to understand our relationships with program offices and deployment goals. You’ll analyze budget justification books, congressional testimony and other relevant government documents to understand our customer’s requirements and resources to shape go to market strategies.
What you'll do
- Represent Vannevar on Capitol Hill. Work closely with our head of public policy and deployment leads to understand our strategic vision and maintain awareness of the mission wins we are developing for our DoD partners. Use this knowledge to communicate Vannevar’s technology, mission value and strategic vision to stakeholders on Capitol Hill and within the Department of Defense through presentations tied to their specific concerns and agendas.
- Own specific legislative objectives. Own Vannevar’s engagement with legislative stakeholders for multiple company objectives targeted at achieving discrete growth goals, while also folding into the company’s broader strategy.
- Partner with Mission team. Support Vannevar’s go-to market strategies through embedding government relations within our deployments from new footholds to category-defining new programs.
What we're looking for
- You are passionate about building next generation capabilities for our public servants and have experience in navigating complex legislative processes to drive new technology adoption and program scaling within the Department of Defense.
- You have navigated Capitol Hill’s defense or intelligence committees and issues as a senior staffer and/or in an external government relations role, preferably with specific expertise in Appropriations.
- You are motivated to work on a small team where you can have an outsized impact and drive significant growth at a national security startup by marrying up government relations to go-to market strategy through creative approaches, deep understanding of our technologies and their applications to strategic competition with nation states.
- You have broad relationships with bipartisan Members and staff on one or both sides of the US Capitol.
- 4+ years navigating Capitol Hill’s defense committees and issues
- Aptitude for working with internal and external stakeholders, from go-to market strategies and legislative agendas
- Proven ability to navigate complex legislative processes to achieve impact
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access U.S. only data systems and export controlled data.
- Top Secret Clearance, or ability to quickly obtain one is required.
- Must be located in the Washington DC metro area.
What we offer
The salary range for this position is $150,000-$190,000 + equity + 401K match. Within the range, individual pay is determined by experience, relevant education, and/or training.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
- 401k matching
- Mental benefits
- Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
- Pet and child care reimbursement during travel
- Unlimited PTO
Vannevar Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don't feel like you're a perfect fit. If you're passionate about contributing to our mission, we'd love to hear from you!