Lead Search Engineer
Posted on Wednesday, October 4, 2023
Vannevar Labs builds next generation defense software for the public servants keeping our country safe. As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
This mission has become urgent. Ukraine is engaged in a war for survival with Russia. China regularly flies nuclear-capable bombers into Taiwan and Japan’s airspace. The US and our allies are fighting a war of deterrence with woefully outdated technology.
We build software to support these missions, including providing battlefield information to allies, identifying malign activity, and helping the US deter and deescalate conflict.
We are a profitable growth startup with some of the best defense investors in the world, including General Catalyst, DFJ Growth, Point72, and enterprise tech investors Costanoa and Felicis.
Senior Search Engineer
Search is at the heart of Vannevar’s flagship product, Decrypt, and the number of business-critical use cases is growing as we expand into new products. We are seeking a Lead Software Engineer, with substantial knowledge and passion for search & information retrieval, to drive innovation in this space. In this role, you will work directly with our ML team to advance a state-of-the-art search system that fundamentally drives our users’ ability to surface mission critical information.
What You'll Do
- Define technical strategy for search at Vannevar, including how we leverage full-text search, vector databases, LLMs, NLP, and relevance algorithms
- Improve both search latency and relevance
- Partner with other engineers, product managers, and designers to identify and quickly deliver customer value
- Stay up to date with emerging technologies, trends, and best practices; particularly within the search/information retrieval domain
- Proven experience in software development – you have worked on business-critical systems that are deployed in production environments
- You’ve successfully led the design or architecture of new and existing system(s), ideally within the search/information-retrieval domain
- You have proficiency and experience working with search technologies, such as Lucene, Elasticsearch, Vector Databases, NLP and LLMs
- Strong leadership, teamwork, and communication skills
- U.S. Person status is required as this position will require the ability to access U.S. only data systems
The Salary Range for this position is $175,000-$215,000 + equity + 401K match. Within the range, individual pay is determined by experience, relevant education, and/or training
What We Offer:
Health, dental, and vision insurance
Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
Mental health benefits
Pet care reimbursement during travel
Vannevar Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don't feel like you're a perfect fit. If you're passionate about contributing to our mission, we'd love to hear from you!