Director of Design
We’re on a mission to democratize AI by building the definitive AI data development platform. The AI landscape has gone through incredible change between 2016, when Snorkel started as a research project in the Stanford AI Lab, to the generative AI breakthroughs of today. But one thing has remained constant: the data you use to build AI is the key to achieving differentiation, high performance, and production-ready systems. We work with some of the world’s largest organizations to empower scientists, engineers, financial experts, product creators, journalists, and more to build custom AI with their data faster than ever before. Excited to help us redefine how AI is built? Apply to be the newest Snorkeler!
We are seeking a Director of Design to help us define a fundamentally new data-centric, programmatic interface to AI based on years of research at the Stanford AI lab. This individual will take over leading our entire design organization, growing our existing team, and driving the creation of intuitive experiences for our customers to build AI applications. In this role, the person will significantly impact the product vision, how customers interact with the product, and define a new way of how people interact with and develop AI!
What Role does Design have at Snorkel AI
The Snorkel project was started at the Stanford AI lab in 2015 with two key ideas: (i) as models became more powerful and commoditized, AI development was going to become all about the data – data-centric – and (ii) a fundamentally new programmatic interface was needed to make data development, including labeling, sampling, filtering, and monitoring, more practical. This need for programmatic data development has become even more critical with the advent of large language models (LLMs) and Generative AI, where the true value lies in customizing these models for enterprise use cases.
Over half a decade of research and 50+ peer-reviewed publications have gone into the core algorithms, systems, and theory principles – but we have still barely scratched the surface of the core human-computer interface (i.e. UI/UX) questions at the very heart of Snorkel’s vision of a new programmatic, data-centric interface for developing AI. In this role, you would lead the present state and future vision of this interface at the heart of a new way of interacting with and developing AI, working closely with the co-founders and broader executive team, and directly with our customers who represent some of the largest, most sophisticated, and highest impact organizations and AI teams on the planet.
- Own product design across the entire company, leading the end-to-end design process for products at Snorkel AI
- Manage and grow a team of designers, provide mentorship and growth opportunities, and recruit a great team!
- Influence and make strategic decisions with the product, engineering, machine learning research, and exec teams to design the Snorkel Flow user interface and user experience
- Design key interfaces of Snorkel Flow, with a focus on intuitive interaction design
- Help set up the design system to support a high-quality experience across the platform
- Represent the voice of the user while designing platform components
Our ideal candidate likely has
- 5 years minimum experience working as a product designer
- 4+ years leading a team and recruiting designers
- Strong portfolio with a variety of design challenges you have solved to demonstrate a thoughtful approach and ability to work on complex product architectures
Bonus points for
- Experience with B2B/SaaS enterprise products building end-to-end workflows with visual, user interface, and user experience
- Familiarity with AI, machine learning, or data science
- Ability to work collaboratively by providing and receiving feedback in a fast-paced environment
The salary range for our Tier 1 locations of San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles & New York is $230,000.00 - $280,000.00. All offers include equity compensation in the form of employee stock options.