Staff Software Engineer, Systems Software Test (R2418)
San Diego, CA, USA · San Diego, CA, USA · Oregon, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 6, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
Are you a passionate and innovative engineer looking to help develop state-of-the-art AI and robotics products? Are you eager to make a positive difference in the world? Do you want to work alongside mission driven and values focused teammates? Shield AI is just the place for you!
The Hivemind Test department (HMT) is a group of teams on a mission to build a comprehensive and robust testing infrastructure that supports the development and deployment of the world’s best AI pilot and most reliable aircraft. Hivemind Test is dedicated to ensuring the highest level of quality, reliability, and performance in our Hivemind software ecosystem. This ecosystem includes software for AI behaviors, embedded systems, system integration, and more. Our group is charged with validating and verifying the entire Hivemind software ecosystem meets reliability standards and is operationally ready to meet mission objectives.
As a Hivemind Software Systems Test Engineer, you will be involved in testing and integrating intelligent UAS and robotics systems on various projects. You will collaborate with diverse teams to bringing together system requirements, foundational software, hardware, and methods for testing different product solutions. Your contributions will play a key role in developing an AI autopilot, enabling intelligent swarms of drones, and fulfilling our mission to protect service members and civilians.
What you'll do:
- Develop test software using C++ and Python to validate Hivemind foundational software and UAS solutions.
- Create and execute test plans, test cases, and test scripts for embedded systems and operating system software components.
- Identify, analyze, and document software defects, issues, and inconsistencies in software behavior.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including software development and other test teams, to ensure seamless integration and alignment of testing efforts.
- Drive continuous improvement in testing methodologies, tools, and processes.
- Contribute to the creation and maintenance of test documentation, including test plans, test reports, and test coverage matrices.
- Participate in design and code reviews to identify potential issues and ensure the quality of software components.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with stakeholders, including development teams, project managers, and other test teams.
- Monitor industry trends and advancements in testing methodologies and tools, ensuring the Hivemind Test department stays at the forefront of innovation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 4 years of real-world experience building test plans or automated test solutions for embedded systems. Ideally in the avionics, robotics, automotive, or defense industries.
- Typically requires a minimum of 7 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6 years and a Master’s degree; or 4 years with a PhD; or equivalent work experience.
- Strong understanding of software testing methodologies, techniques, and tools, with a focus on embedded systems and operating systems.
- Proficiency in C++ and Python.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and debugging skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional team.
- Software management tools (Git, AzureDevOps/Jira, Artifactory).
- Experience in robotics and/or small UAS with hands-on experience w/ ROS.
- Experience in the aerospace or defense industries, working with complex systems and adhering to stringent standards and regulations.
- Adaptability and a willingness to learn new technologies and methodologies quickly.
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.