Senior Software Engineer, Autonomy Test (R2421)
San Diego, CA, USA · San Diego, CA, USA · Oregon, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 6, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
The autonomy test engineer will be responsible for generating test cases, documenting issues, standing up and driving automated testing and reporting pipelines, supporting SIL / HWIL testing activities, and flight tests to enable Shield AI to build the world’s best AI pilot. This position works concurrently with multiple stakeholders from technicians, software developers, and management to communicate findings and help drive testing of an end-to-end modular SW for both air and ground testing.
What you'll do:
- Work with stakeholders through the software development life cycle creating test plans, test cases, and test execution of software features.
- Study CONOPS and customer requirements to ensure strong test coverage.
- Support Hardware-In-The-Loop (HIL), simulation (SIL), and flight testing for Shield AI’s autonomy software.
- Help stand up and drive automated testing and reporting pipelines as needed.
- Help drive high-quality software releases at a regular cadence to service customer needs.
- Seek out gaps in testing and implement solutions to fill them.
- Jointly own test coverage for all of Hivemind Edge software along with the Hivemind Test team.
- Document issues and communicate with the software and hardware teams to resolve the issues and drive them to closure.
- Help drive improvements in testing frameworks and pipelines.
- Resolve challenges and optimize software architecture at all levels of the stack from kernel to third party and internal libraries.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent degree.
- 4+ years of professional work experience as a software engineer.
- 2+ years of professional experience in software test engineering.
- Proficient in developing test harnesses for production software.
- Proficient with designing test metrics.
- Strong experience in automated testing.
- Experience in ROS or related robotics frameworks.
- Experience with Gazebo or other simulation frameworks.
- Experience with integration of robotic software on hardware platforms.
- Experience with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins.
- Strong software skills in C++ and python.
- Experience in testing Object-Oriented Design, Distributed Systems, and Service-Oriented Architectures.
- You have a demonstrated record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly and effectively debug software that you are not familiar with.
- Strong verbal and written communications and presentations skills to accurately document and report findings to a variety of audiences.
- Master's degree in computer science or equivalent degree.
- Experience with Azure, AWS, or GCP.
- Technical expertise in integrating and verifying software distributed systems.
- Familiarity with virtualization technologies such as Docker and Virtual Machines.
- Familiarity with database technology such as MySQL, Oracle, and MongoDB.
- Familiarity with SysML and git.
- Familiarity with networking.
- Experience in the self-driving car, UAV or other related autonomy industry.
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.