Staff Sensing Engineer (R2300)
San Diego, CA, USA · San Diego, CA, USA · Oregon, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 4, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
As a Sensor Engineer, you will work on integrating, modeling, and calibrating state-of-the-art sensors to enable reliable robot autonomy in the areas of perception, mapping, and state estimation. Your work will directly enable our autonomy software to both achieve improved performance and unlock new autonomy and perception capabilities at the edge. You will work closely with members of the team to understand sensing requirements, conduct trade studies, implement sensor models in software, integrate sensor software in Linux, and design calibration and validation processes to ensure fulfilment of these requirements. You will also contribute to the precise modeling of the sensors in simulation to improve development efficiency.
What you'll do:
- Writing sensor modeling software ranging from low-to-high fidelity; applying sensor phenomenology to those models
- Surveying and analyzing sensor performance both within a certain class of sensors(e.g., IMUs, GNSS) or across sensing types (e.g., EO, IR, thermal) and making informed recommendations/decisions on sensor architecture given requirements and constraints
- Develop measurement filters using classical or deep learning methods
- Subject matter expertise with one or many of the following sensors: IMU, GNSS (exGPS), magnetometer, EO/IR/thermal cameras, radar/RF
- Experience with state estimation and sensor fusion algorithms involving some/all of the following sensors:
- Experience with designing and executing experiments involving sensors
- Experience with sensor selection / evaluation for edge autonomy systems
- B.Sc in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or a related field
- Typically requires a minimum of 7 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6 years and a Master’s degree; or 4 years with a PhD; or equivalent work experience.
- Strong C++ Git, and Linux skills
- Demonstrated track record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others
- A team player with strong communication skills and the ability to lead & inspire others
- Eligibility to obtain a clearance
- Masters or PhD degree in related engineering fields
- Developing user space Linux applications
- Experience evaluating sensors for size, weight, accuracy, and power constraints
- Experience in a collaborative development environment, including paradigms such as continuous integration & delivery, test-driven development, etc.
- Strong knowledge of state estimation and sensor fusion algorithms and corresponding sensor selection
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.