Indirect Tax Manager
Scale AI is seeking a highly motivated Indirect Tax Manager to join our team. This will be the first in-house tax member, so we are looking for someone who is excited to build out a function and the associated processes. The successful candidate will have a proven multi-functional record with broad Global indirect tax technical experience from VAT to sales tax and more in a dynamic, fast pace, high-growth environment. This candidate will partner with members of accounting and other finance functions, as well as a broad range of cross-functional business teams to surface tax issues, solve problems, and recommend solutions while performing key responsibilities.
We are looking for a detailed-oriented and self-motivated team player with a desire to learn and is passionate about delivering quality results.
- Perform research and provide analysis on a variety of sales and use tax inquiries to optimize Scale’s products and minimize tax risk
- Partner with cross-functional groups within the company to understand the tax impact of business operations and ensure tax needs are identified, considered, and communicated
- Implement a sales tax tool, and ensure proper classification of our products within this tool including ensuring all new products are accurately characterized and implemented within Scale’s sales tax tool
- Develop indirect tax operational processes, focusing on controls, automation, efficiency, and analytics
- Adapt to changing priorities and tight deadlines, analyze and solve problems, work independently with proven ability to motivate, and influence others
- Assist with reconciliation and support the preparation of monthly/quarterly/annual sales/use tax returns as well as manage the related audits and communications.
- Manage new changes in applicable sales/use/gross receipts tax laws and understand how they impact the current business.
- Oversee and prepare San Francisco Annual Business Tax return.
- Provide VAT/GST advisory
Ideally you’d have:
- Proven experience in indirect tax technical background with a detailed understanding of the application of sales tax principles to technology / Ai products
- Demonstrated experience in cultivating cross-functional relationships and communicating complicated tax technical matters to all levels and business functions
- Proven project management and organizational skills with the experience to prioritize multiple competing tasks in a dynamic environment
- A mentality that balances individual ownership and accountability with collaboration and partnership
- Excellent problem-solving skills and high level of attention to detail
- Possess strong knowledge of performing tax research and providing technical advice on complex sales/use tax/VAT/GST topics at the country, state and local level.
- Bachelor and/or Masters degree in a relevant field, including Accounting and/or Tax or equivalent experience with a minimum of 10 overall years of public and private related tax experience required (Big 4 experience is preferred).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate to senior leadership.
Nice to haves:
- 8-10 years of indirect tax experience
- CPA, JD, or LLM in Taxation
- Combined Big4 or law firm and technology industry experience
- Broad indirect tax background, and property tax experience is a plus
- Experience with improving, automating, and implementing tax processes and workflows
- Self-motivated with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Proficient in G-suite
- Experience in the technology sector.
- Must be a motived self-starter and a quick learner to be successful in a fast-paced high growth environment.
The base salary range for this full-time position in San Francisco is $144,000.00 - $172,800.00 Compensation packages at Scale include base salary, equity, and benefits. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position, determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, interview performance, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process. Scale employees are also granted Stock Options that are awarded upon board of director approval. You’ll also receive benefits including, but not limited to: Comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage, retirement benefits, a learning and development stipend, and generous PTO. Additionally, this role may be eligible for additional benefits such as a commuter stipend.
At Scale, we believe that the transition from traditional software to AI is one of the most important shifts of our time. Our mission is to make that happen faster across every industry, and our team is transforming how machine learning can build innovative products. Our products provide access to human-powered data for hundreds of use cases and are used by industry leaders such as Open AI, Lyft, Meta, GM, Samsung, Airbnb, NVIDIA, and many more. We’ve recently raised $325 million in Series E funding at a valuation of $7B+ and are expanding our team to accelerate the development of AI applications.
We believe that everyone should be able to bring their whole selves to work, which is why we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability status, gender identity or Veteran status.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.
PLEASE NOTE: We collect, retain and use personal data for our professional business purposes, including notifying you of job opportunities that may be of interest and sharing with our affiliates. We limit the personal data we collect to that which we believe is appropriate and necessary to manage applicants’ needs, provide our services, and comply with applicable laws. Any information we collect in connection with your application will be treated in accordance with our internal policies and programs designed to protect personal data.