Media Relations, Research and Product Communications
About the Team
OpenAI’s mission is to ensure that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity.
Our Communications team includes PR/media relations, employee communications, events, design, and other external-facing functions. This team’s ethos is to support OpenAI's mission and goals by clearly and authentically explaining our technology, values, and approach to safely building powerful AI.
About the Role
We’re seeking to hire an exceptional PR professional to join our small, high-impact team to communicate progress on our mission to develop Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) that benefits all of humanity. This person will support research and product communications and will help build and execute external communication strategies to educate press, developers and key stakeholders on our research, products and technology. This includes working in close collaboration with teams across OpenAI to help drive initiatives and narratives in support of the organization’s priorities. This role will report to our Head of Public Relations.
The ideal candidate should bring a strong mix of strategic and tactical comms ownership. Ability to move fast and collaboratively on complex issues in a changing environment is critical. Passion for new technology and storytelling is key.
This role is based in San Francisco, CA. We use a hybrid work model of 3 days in the office per week and offer relocation assistance to new employees.
In this role, you will:
- Develop and execute communication plans including strategies for educating press, consumers, developers and the general public
- Forge deep relationships with media and manage inbound requests on a range of issues
- Partner cross-functionally with research, legal, product and other teams at OpenAI
- Provide counsel and support to team members across the organization
- Anticipate comms risks and establish risk mitigation strategies
We’re looking for a blend of qualifications, including:
- 8+ years of professional PR and media relations experience
- Strong track record of driving media campaigns in support of policy priorities and issues
- Background in technology communications, and knowledge of AI
- Proven success in building relationships and collaborating with press, executives, partners, and other stakeholders
You’ll thrive in this role if:
- You want to be a part of a small, highly-experienced team that makes meaningful contributions
- Building and maintaining relationships are your forte
- You want to tell stories about technology that will have significant impact on the world
- You seek and are comfortable managing high-profile, complex stories under tight deadlines
- Educating general audiences about highly technical subjects is a challenge you enjoy
- You excel in both strategy and tactical execution
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
For US Based Candidates: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.