Strategic Finance, Data Scientist
About the Team
The Strategic Finance team is responsible for some of the largest investment categories at OpenAI. The team plays a critical part in maximizing OpenAI’s long term value by partnering across the business to allocate and deploy our resources for the highest impact outcomes.
About the Role
We’re looking for our first Strategic Finance, Data Scientist to design, implement, and own critical reporting and analysis. This role will report to the Head of Strategic Finance and work closely with finance leadership. This position requires deep subject matter expertise in data analytics and the ability to surface insights to support decision making.
This role is based in our San Francisco HQ. We use a hybrid work model of 3 days in the office per week and offer relocation assistance to new employees.
In this role, you will:
- Become an expert in OAI’s data and systems. Through partnership with Data Eng, Finance and other business teams, you should be able to self-serve all the underlying data for our business and derive insights from them
- Drive automation of standardized reporting, analysis, and processes across our various revenue segments and compute spend
- Design and deliver dashboards to leadership that measure key performance indicators and provide for optimal business decision making
- Create visualizations to present findings in a clear, concise manner
- Develop accurate forecasts for revenue, compute consumption and its underlying drivers
- Support product pricing and other business decisions with ad hoc analysis as needed
- Manage cross-functional data science projects
You might thrive in this role if you have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field
- 5+ years of experience in a Data Science role at a dynamic and outcome-driven organization, ideally supporting finance organizations
- Proficiency in critical analytical tools including SQL, Mode, Excel, Tableau
- Strong analytical skills and experience with large data sets
- Progressive experience in data analytics, ideally with direct experience within a finance organization
- Exemplary ability to distill complex financial information into actionable insights for leadership
- Ability to independently initiate and complete analytical projects including identifying key metrics, building reports, and forecasting
- Excellent communication skills and “story telling” ability when presenting data insights
- Best-in-class attention to detail and unwavering commitment to accuracy
- Knowledge of Python (a strong plus)
You could be an especially great fit if:
- You’re an enthusiastic self-starter. You thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, and expect to fully own your function. You take ownership of your work and believe that a job not done well is a job not done.
- You’re a master of manipulating data. Making data flow seamlessly is an art, and you are obsessed with the paintbrush. You extract hidden insights that drive better decisions and are constantly looking for ways to improve your analyses. You’re detailed and diligent.
- You’re a phenomenal teammate. You’re a strong communicator who can explain complex topics with ease, in any format. You intuitively understand the importance of keeping everyone in the loop, and you take proactive measures to do so. You’re intellectually honest.
- You’re passionate about technology and artificial intelligence.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
For US Based Candidates: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.