Strategic Finance - Infrastructure
About the Team
OpenAI’s mission is to build safe artificial general intelligence (AGI) which benefits all of humanity. This long-term undertaking brings the world’s best scientists, engineers, and business professionals together under one organization.
We're building the most advanced AI models and platforms, making it easy for developers and customers to benefit from AI via the OpenAI API and ChatGPT. Our API also provides developers access to Codex – a model that translates natural language into code – and we partnered with GitHub to create an AI pair programmer, Copilot. We're working to bring other research efforts into the API such as DALL-E 2 (our text to image generator) and CLIP (our state-of-the-art image classifier).
OpenAI Strategic Finance is responsible for ensuring the organization is set up for success in pursuit of our mission. We are building an elite team to drive strategy and financial insight at OpenAI, providing an independent and objective perspective to leadership.
About the Role
As the strategic finance lead focusing on infrastructure, you will be responsible for defining and driving key investment decisions we make on public cloud and dedicated infrastructure (e.g. private cloud). This is a cross-functional and strategic role, working closely with engineers, research scientists, and external partners.
We believe that increasing compute is a huge lever to AI progress and we build some of the largest Supercomputers in the world. When our Owl cluster launched in 2019 it would've been among the top 5 of the TOP500 supercomputers in the world. Since then we've only continued to grow. You won’t encounter any other organization in the world with as much compute per employee. We are a small team that moves quickly, with access to huge resources, working with a direct impact on the success of OpenAI and, by extension, the field of AI as a whole.
In this role, you will:
- Decision Modeling: Building and maintaining financial and investment valuation models for existing capital investments and new bets
- Synthesis and Recommendation: Analyzing, developing objective recommendations, and overseeing the financial aspects of critical infrastructure projects and investments
- Partnerships: Leading negotiations with key vendors and partners
- Influencing business direction: Collaborating with leadership on materials for our Board of Directors and Executive Team
- Trend analysis: Accurate forecasts and understanding of key variables are critical in this fast-changing environment
- 6+ years of experience across private / growth equity, private credit, investment banking, restructuring, strategic finance or business strategy
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with project finance, capital project and infrastructure financial analysis, large-scale, high dollar investment projects
- Knowledge of physical computing infrastructure: power and space, data center facilities, hardware, and networking
- Demonstrated exceptionally strong analytical, financial modeling, and written and oral communication skills
You might enjoy this role if
- You’re an owner. You take extreme accountability of projects from day one and approach them creatively and energetically. You take deadlines seriously and are organized. You’re reliable and trustworthy.
- You’re highly analytical. Your attention to detail is impeccable, but you know when and where to simplify complex concepts. You’re tenacious and naturally want to get to the right answer. You’re a lifelong learner.
- You’re strategic. You think on multi-year timescales and can translate that mode of thinking to your day-to-day decision making. You’re comfortable evaluating large investments.
- You’re a team player. You’re intellectually honest and rigorous. You use active listening skills to intuitively concisely and unambiguously communicate analyses. You explain complex topics with ease, in any format and to various audiences. You intuitively understand the importance of keeping everyone in the loop, and you take proactive measures to do so.
- You’re passionate about technology and artificial intelligence.
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
The annual salary range for this role is $210,000 - $265,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via this link.