Who we are:
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. Motive combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to connect and automate physical operations. Motive is one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world, serving more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is built on four foundational attributes; Own It, Less but Better, Build Trust, and Unlock Potential. This has taken our company to great heights, including being recognized by Fortune for Best Workplaces, Forbes Best Startup Employers, and Comparably for our Best Global Culture, Sales Team, Leadership Team, Career Growth, and CEO for Diversity. We’re proud to receive an employee net promoter score of 63 (according to Comparably) which places Motive in the top 5% of companies with 4,000 employees or more.
Today, our team is made up of more than 3,000 employees, located across the world, providing support to a wide range of customers. While most of our employees are remote, many have the opportunity to work on-site at any of our 8 global office locations. Visit our careers website to learn more about opportunities at Motive.
About the Role:
As a Motive Field Engineer, you will be a key member of the Supportability Field Engineering team. Both a technologist and a resourceful problem solver, the successful candidate will possess a deep understanding of Motive Hardware, industry best practices, diverse Vehicle and Equipment types, and optimal installation practices. You will be the role model to others for Motive Hardware knowledge, and standards of quality.
The ideal candidate will be a Computer Electronics expert, with a passion for Hardware and Quality. Not afraid to own challenges and be hands on with the Customers, Hardware, and its deployment life cycle.
A Field Engineer will be driven by quality, have a knack for prioritization, and enabling others to seamlessly deploy Motive Hardware. You will be the best in the world at installing Motive products. As a Field Engineer, you will have an amazing opportunity to shape the way we deploy our hardware, and ensure Supportability of it. You will play a key role in creating and delivering Technical Installation training and certification content. You will also be participating in our Alpha & Beta programs for new product development, providing integral feedback. We are looking for candidates with a solid computer electronics background and hands-on experience in deploying hardware at scale to join our team. Automotive / Logistics experience is a plus. This role is ideal for an engineer who is a strong, independent worker ready to take on new challenges, and eager to work with cutting edge technology.
The person in this role will be required to travel 30-40% of the time.
What You'll Do:
- Become Subject Matter Expert on the Motive Hardware & Software Product Suite
- Become Subject Matter Expert on Motive Hardware deployment and Installation Practices.
- Provide strategic onsite presence to Install, Supervise,Troubleshoot, QA, and Support Motive Implementations.
- Participate in Motive Alpha & Beta New Product development by performing Installation and Testing.
- Building and delivering installation partner training content and certification programs.
- Training & Certification of Third Parties on Motive Installation Standards.
- Key stakeholders in building and maintaining online installation help center with articles, how-to-guides and additional resources.
- Ensuring on-site efficiency and safety at all times
- Build a Hardware Lab for using and testing Motive Products yourself.
What We're Looking For:
- 5+ years relevant experience
- Bachelor's Degree or + 2 Years Relevant Experience or Certification
- Must demonstrate strong Computer Electronics / Hardware proficiency
- Strong work ethic and a commitment to excellence.
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to handle high-priority and time-sensitive technical scenarios.
- Confident in customer-facing roles, providing training, support, and assistance.
- Learning of the Automotive & Logistics Industry Required, prior experience is a plus.
- Motive Product use (in lab) & Expertise required.
- Ability to travel 30-40% of the time.
- Must already be located in the Buffalo New York area (ability to go into our office throughout the week and you will also get to work from home)
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
The applicant must be authorized to receive and access those commodities and technologies controlled under U.S. Export Administration Regulations. It is Motive's policy to require that employees be authorized to receive access to Motive products and technology.