Senior Visual Designer
We believe that AI is a net positive force in the world. Our vision and mission are to help rebuild AI infrastructure to advance humanity and our environment. We will do whatever it takes to empower our customers, team, and company to benefit from that pursuit. You can read about our culture and careers here to understand how we work and what we value.
We are owners and advocates for the underlying technologies, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure. These essential building blocks form the high-quality and coherent experiences our users expect. We aim to drive the pace of innovation for every AI/ML developer.
About the role:
You will play an integral part in Modular’s visual brand and product design experience. As the second designer at our fast growing company, you will partner closely with the founding interaction designer and stakeholders to support the marketing and product teams. You will be encouraged to imagine ‘what if’ and push the boundaries of how seamless and usable technology can be. Your expert-level visuals will inspire the developers to push boundaries and delight users. You will connect the brand across the whole user journey - from social media to highly used features in the platform. You will uphold our cultural tenet of ‘built it right’ and can explore ideas with developers in a collaborative and kind way. You will spend time getting familiar with the machine learning developer persona and learn the vernacular and needs of ML development so you can anticipate how to solve their problems. This is a hybrid visual and interaction role, with an emphasis on strong visuals and a growth-mindset towards growing your interaction UX skills.
LOCATION: Candidates based in the US or Canada are welcome to apply. You can work remotely from home.
What you will do:
- Co-create a Figma design language system with your manager’s guidance, that will be used for all front end teams. We have a small one that needs to be built out further.
- Execute designs for the entire end-to-end user journey, beyond just the product itself. This includes buying funnels on the marketing site, social media, developer coding environments, marketing assets, presentations, and events.
- Iterate on stunning visual designs, responding to feedback from end users and stakeholders with new designs based on qualitative feedback and data.
- Inspire engineers with high-crafted visual designs that leverage the latest technologies and feel magical to the end user.
- Bring design culture - share articles and latest trends. Have fun with design ideas and thoughts!
- Explore ideas in wireframes and clickable prototypes.
- Communicate your design ideas to developers and discuss tradeoffs.
- You will be expected to have knowledge of designing responsively for mobile and desktop and have some understanding of human interface best practices, such as Apple’s HIG
What you bring to the table:
- An ambitious mindset, always pushing design as far as it can go or just exploring ideas without having to be asked.
- Strong knowledge of Figma and a desire to stay up to date on all the latest Figma features, like variables and prototyping.
- 2 - 5 years of experience building digital products, working with stakeholders, and listening to real users requests.
- An understanding of human centered design and an ability to personalize your work towards a specific persona’s needs.
- You have strong beliefs loosely held. You have an ability to articulate the reasoning for your design choices but are open to critique and enjoy building collaboratively.
- You are kind, and know that good ideas can come from anywhere, and good teams have fun together, and have no ego.
- You have an eye for good branding and can extend our already established brand in beautiful ways.
- You geek out on new interaction paradigms and follow what other tech companies are doing and how their interfaces are evolving.
Helpful Experience (Not required):
- A basic understanding of machine learning or artificial intelligence; but more important is the ability to learn fast with all the educational resources we will provide.
- Have worked in or around startups before or have a strong understanding of the nature of fast-moving, highly dynamic teams.
- You are comfortable working remote, or have worked remote before.
- Ideal candidate will have added experience in some combination of the following: 3D modeling and visualization, motion graphics, animation, and/or illustration (Ex: Blender, Cinema 4D, After Effects, Lottie)
- An ability to find the right problems to solve by meeting users, and assessing data.
For candidates who fall outside of the listed requirements, we nevertheless encourage you to apply as we may have openings that are lower/higher level than the ones advertised.
How To Apply:
Please send an online portfolio with at least 2 case studies that emphasize expert-level visual design, an ability to prototype, and exceptional skills in graphic, web, and a touch of motion design. Make sure the case studies tell a story of what problem you solved and what hurdles you overcame along the way. Feel free to point us towards which 2 case studies if you have many on your site.
What Modular brings to the table:
- Amazing Team. We are a progressive and agile team with some of the industry’s best engineering and product leaders.
- Flexible Location. We want you to work where you are most productive and we are a remote-first company. We have offices in Palo Alto, CA and Seattle, WA for collaboration, and will open more next year.
- World-class Benefits. In order to attract the best, we need to offer the best. Premier insurance plans, up to 5% 401k matching, very generous WFH setup stipends, flexible paid time off, and more are available to you! Please note that specific benefit packages may vary based on your location.
- Competitive Compensation. We offer very strong compensation packages, including stock options. We want people to be focused on their best work and believe in tailoring compensation plans to meet the needs of our workforce.
- Team Building Events. We organize regular team onsites and local meetups in different cities.
Working at Modular will enable you to grow quickly as you work alongside incredibly motivated and talented people who have high standards, possess a growth mindset, and a purpose to truly change the world.
Modular is proud to emphasize an equal opportunity, safe environment for people to do their best work. Modular is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you require reasonable accommodations to participate in the interview process, please let your recruiter know, and we will work with you to meet your needs in compliance with the ADA.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.