Software Engineer, Search Ranking
Glean was founded by a seasoned team of former Google Search and Facebook engineers, who wondered why we don’t have an easier way of finding what we need at work. In our personal lives, we have tools to help us find pretty much whatever we need. Why don’t we have that at work? And that was the beginning of Glean.
Glean searches across all your company’s apps to help you find exactly what you need and discover the things you should know. We’re a diverse team of curious and creative people who want to help each other get big things done—so we can help other teams do the same.
We're backed by some of the Valley's leading venture capitalists—including Sequoia, Kleiner Perkins, Lightspeed, and General Catalyst—and have assembled a world-class team with senior leadership experience at Google, Slack, Facebook, Dropbox, Rubrik, Uber, Intercom, Pinterest, Palantir, and others.
- Build and grow various features of our search stack like search ranking models, query parsing/understanding, natural language question answering, etc.
- Deeply understand search usage and user needs and identify gaps in the search stack
- Design, experiment with, and iterate on ML/NLP/IR solutions to address gaps in the search stack
- Design and evolve experimentation framework to help evaluate improvements the search stack
- Write robust code that’s easy to read, maintain and test
- Mentor more junior engineers or learn from battle-tested ones
Who you are:
- BA/BS in computer science, or related degree
- 2+ years of experience
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work with data
- Experience working in fields like recommendation systems, natural language processing, applied machine learning, large scale production search/ranking system or other related systems
Key knowledge and skills:
- Thrive in a customer-focused, tight-knit and cross-functional environment - being a team player and willing to take on whatever is most impactful for the company is a must
- A proactive and positive attitude to lead, learn, troubleshoot and take ownership of both small tasks and large features
- Proven ability to design and build complex search/ranking/recommendation or other related systems
- Strong coding skills (for example in Go/Python/Java/C++ etc)
- Competitive compensation
- Flexible work environment
- Unlimited PTO
- Transparent culture
- Learning and development opportunities
- Company events
- Free meals
For California based applicants:
The standard base salary range for this position is $120,000 - $210,000 annually. Compensation offered will be determined by factors such as location, level, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Certain roles may be eligible for variable compensation, equity, and benefits.