Descript’s vision is to put video in every communicator’s toolkit, alongside docs and slides. So communicators can say it like they mean it through the expressiveness and engagement that’s unique to the medium of video. We want to be Word for Video.
As Motion Graphics Designer, you help will define and guide the development of Descript’s brand through motion design. This means working closely with both the marketing and product design teams, identifying opportunities both inside and outside the product to express Descript’s uniqueness through motion.
What You’ll Do
- Partner closely with marketing, product, and your design teammates to bring our brand to life through innovative videos across our ads, landing pages, and product.
- Create motion graphic templates for easy use by customers as well as internal teams.
- Work with our biggest customers to develop custom templates that enable them to use Descript to easily create videos that serve their business needs.
- Be an active participant and leader in design critiques, providing thoughtful feedback across product and design teams
- Play a significant role in the evolution of our brand, voice, and strategy as Descript grows as a company and product.
What You Bring
- 5+ years of relevant work in a creative field - startup experience is a plus
- Superb visual and conceptual skills to solve problems and create novel solutions.
- Clear, direct communication (written and verbal) and effective collaboration with a diverse set of interest groups (designers, executives).
- Empathy for users and eagerness to discover and resolve their pain points.
- High levels of personal organization and process-orientation.
- An eye for detail and craftsmanship, without compromising deadlines and constraints.
- Ability to identify and frame problems and opportunities from a user-centric perspective, using data to inform design decisions and testing.
- Expert-level knowledge of common motion graphics design software.
- A portfolio that exhibits real passion for your craft and strong conceptual ability.
Nice to haves
- Love for reflecting and writing about your process and POV
The base salary range for this role is $135,000-$159,000/year. Final offer amounts will carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise, and location, and they may vary from the amount above.
Descript is building a simple, intuitive, fully-powered editing tool for video and audio — an editing tool built for the age of AI. We are a team of 125 — with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world's greatest investors (OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital).
Descript is the special company that's in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and flexible vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PT and ET time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we're interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.