Data Annotator/ AI Data Trainer - COBOL Developer
Software Engineering, IT, Data Science
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, February 2, 2024
Who are we?
Our mission is to scale intelligence to serve humanity. We’re training and deploying frontier models for developers and enterprises who are building AI systems to power magical experiences like semantic search, RAG, and agents. We believe that our work is instrumental to the widespread adoption of AI.
We obsess over what we build. Each one of us is responsible for contributing to increasing the capabilities of our models and the value they drive for our customers. We like to work hard and move fast to do what’s best for our customers.
Cohere is a team of researchers, engineers, designers, and more, who are passionate about their craft. Each person is the one of the best in the world at what they do. We believe that a diverse range of perspectives is a requirement for building great products.
Join us on our mission and shape the future!
Why this role?
We are on a mission to build machines that understand the world and make them safely accessible to all. Data quality is foundational to this process. Machines (or Large Language Models to be exact) learn in similar ways to humans - by way of feedback. By labelling, ranking, auditing, and correcting text output, you will improve Large Language Model’s performance for iterations to come, thus having a lasting impact on Cohere’s tech.
You will be coding in COBOL, explaining COBOL code, and translating COBOL to other programming languages
Please Note: This is a part-time contract position based out of our Toronto office. We are looking for candidates who are able to commit to 20 hours per week at a $40/hour contract rate (commensurate with experience). Our Toronto office is dog-friendly, conveniently located, and has a great snack selection. This role is BYOD 💻 - Bring Your Own Device (laptop). Once training is completed, this role is hybrid. Performance incentives included!
As a Senior Data Quality Specialist in coding, you will:
- Label, rank, audit, and correct machine learning data with a focus on coding in COBOL and other languages.
- Complete reading or coding-based tasks in an efficient and attentive manner.
- Complete preference-based tasks to evaluate which responses best follow our style guide.
- Recommend optimization opportunities.
- Provide feedback to cross-functional team members.
- Maintain a close attention to detail, while performing repetitive and precise tasks.
You may be a good fit if you have:
- Subject matter expertise in COBOL and Software Engineering - you have both studied in these fields and have practical experience applying them in a workplace.
- Strong reading and writing skills - which you are ready to prove on our written test.
- Deep attention to detail and commitment to accuracy - you’re the type to proofread all of your emails!
- High tolerance for repetitive and monotonous work.
- Ability to follow complex instructions, navigate ambiguity and work independently.
- Superb sense of urgency and time management.
- A reliable laptop to work from.
The Candidate Journey:
- Initial Screening - Once you have submitted your application our Talent Team will review your resume and writing samples.
- Virtual Meet & Greet - If selected to move forward, you will have a short video call with a member of our Annotation Army!
- Practical Assessment - This assignment will test your written skill through various language-based tasks, such as a a writing sample, interacting with a chat bot, and more.
- Offer - Independent Contractor Agreement.
Prospective candidates, please be advised: this role may involve exposure to Not Safe For Work (NSFW) content, including explicit, offensive, or other inappropriate material.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work with cutting-edge AI technology
🪴 A vibrant & central location
🥨 A great selection of office snacks
🏆 Performance-based incentives