Head of Product Communications
Marketing & Communications, Product
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
We are seeking an experienced communications leader to set the vision and strategy for product communications at Anthropic. As the Head of Product Communications, you will define our product narrative, deepen understanding of Anthropic’s product offering and develop creative campaigns to drive adoption of our AI assistant Claude. You will also partner with teams across Anthropic to surface stories about the beneficial use of AI, highlight our users and partners, and make AI technologies accessible to a broader audience. In this role, you will also build and coach our bench of technical spokespeople and provide strategic counsel to Anthropic’s leadership team.
Anthropic is an AI safety and research company that’s working to build reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our customers and for society as a whole. Our interdisciplinary team has experience across ML, physics, policy, business and product.
- Devise a differentiated, creative, and internet-centric communications strategy to advance Anthropic’s reputation, bring new products to market and build affinity for Claude
- Develop messaging to clearly and crisply communicate our product value proposition to our core audience
- Identify high-impact media opportunities to promote our product offering and secure placements in relevant outlets for our audiences
- Build strong relationships with technology reporters, analysts and influencers
- Create engaging multimedia content across Anthropic’s key channels to bring our products to life and get more people excited about Claude’s capabilities
- Prepare executives and subject matter experts to communicate Anthropic's vision and differentiate our AI capabilities in interviews and speaking engagements
- Have a deep understanding of the evolving media landscape and a strong pulse on audience sentiment
- Partner with Marketing and Sales to track and monitor progress on core product metrics, and adapt strategies as needed to drive awareness and adoption
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have 7+ years experience in B2B technology communications
- Possess strong written and verbal communications skills; ability to distill complex topics into clear, compelling narratives that resonate with a range of audiences
- Are familiar with AI/ML technologies and terminology
- Demonstrate expertise in securing top-tier media placements and managing press relationships
- Bring experience preparing senior executives for high-profile interviews and events
- Have a data-driven mindset and analytical approach to setting communications strategy and measuring impact
- Bring strong project management abilities and confidence operating independently
- Are passionate about Anthropic's mission of building reliable, interpretable and steerable AI systems
Annual Salary (USD)
- The expected salary range for this position is $300k-$355k.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you're interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we're building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity - On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we're different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills. We're trying to build a core of knowledge and intuition about the most robustly effective innovations in AI, and so thoroughly-documented null results are almost as valuable as positive discoveries. We do not have boundaries between engineering and research, and we expect all of our technical staff to contribute to both as needed.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Come work with us!
Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.