Head of Compliance
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, May 2, 2023
Anthropic’s Security team is looking for a Security Engineer & Compliance Manager to direct our new compliance team and ensure their success. In this role, you’ll be responsible for ensuring our compliance & regulatory commitments are manifested in infrastructure and employee practices. You will build the foundation for how the team operates and delivers value to the rest of Anthropic.
Anthropic is an AI safety and research company that’s working to build reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our customers and for society as a whole. Our interdisciplinary team has experience across ML, physics, policy, business and product.
- Build and maintain compliance programs related to key regulations including security assessments and controls.
- Identify and assess compliance risks, and translate them into actionable tasks for the organization.
- Shape policies and procedures to embed compliance into product design, infrastructure, and employee practices.
- Help guide the conversation about the emerging area of AI governance.
- Lead our small but growing compliance team to successfully deliver on team goals.
- Develop and track metrics to ensure compliance objectives are being met.
- Represent the compliance team and build credibility for Anthropic's compliance posture.
- Collaborate with security, product, and infrastructure teams to integrate compliance into their workflows and processes.
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have 15 years in the industry working on security, privacy, compliance, and/or engineering
- Have 4 years of management experience
- Have enforced a compliance framework in an organization
- Can communicate critical updates to organizational leaders
- Are effective coordinating change management and company-wide announcements
Strong candidates may also:
- Have experience in all four areas of security, privacy, compliance, and engineering
- Have experience supporting medium or large tech organizations
- Care about AI safety risk scenarios
- Have driven a new compliance program from beginning to live
- Have 8 years of management experience
- Have engaged in external policy-making processes (e.g. helped write or revise security standards)
Candidates need not have:
- 100% of the skills needed to perform the job
- Formal certifications or education credentials
Annual Salary (USD)
- The expected salary range for this position is $320k - $520k.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you're interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we're building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity - On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we're different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills. We're trying to build a core of knowledge and intuition about the most robustly effective innovations in AI, and so thoroughly-documented null results are almost as valuable as positive discoveries. We do not have boundaries between engineering and research, and we expect all of our technical staff to contribute to both as needed.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Come work with us!
Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.