Software Engineer, Trust & Safety
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2023
We are looking for software engineers to help build safety and oversight mechanisms for our AI systems. As a trust and safety software engineer, you will work to monitor models, prevent misuse, and ensure user well-being. This role will focus on building systems to detect unwanted model behaviors and prevent disallowed use of models. You will apply your technical skills to uphold our principles of safety, transparency, and oversight while enforcing our terms of service and acceptable use policies.
Anthropic is an AI safety and research company that’s working to build reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our customers and for society as a whole. Our interdisciplinary team has experience across ML, physics, policy, business and product.
- Develop monitoring systems to detect unwanted behaviors from our API partners and potentially take automated enforcement actions; surface these in internal dashboards to analysts for manual review
- Build abuse detection mechanisms
- Surface abuse patterns to our research teams to harden models at the training stage
- Build multi-layered defenses for real-time improvement of safety mechanisms
- Analyze user reports of inappropriate content or accounts and build machine learning models to detect similar instances proactively
You may be a good fit if you:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or comparable experience
- 2-3 years of experience in a data analyst, data scientist, or software engineering position, preferably with a focus on security, spam, fraud, or abuse detection.
- Proficiency in SQL, Python, and data analysis/data mining tools.
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
Strong candidates may also:
- Have experience building trust and safety mechanisms for AI/ML systems, such as fraud detection models or security monitoring tools
- Have experience with machine learning frameworks like Scikit-Learn, Tensorflow, or Pytorch
- Have experience with prompt engineering, jailbreak attacks, and other adversarial inputs
- Have worked closely with operational teams to build custom internal tooling
- Have experience with full stack engineering to build internal tooling
- The expected salary range for this position is $300k - $450k USD.
Hybrid policy & US visa sponsorship: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time. We do sponsor visas! However, we aren't able to successfully sponsor visas for every role and every candidate; operations roles are especially difficult to support. But if we make you an offer, we will make every effort to get you into the United States, and we retain an immigration lawyer to help with this.